Saturday, January 1, 2011

Communication in Marriage

OK. I have to plead ignorant of something. At least, I was ignorant of an issue until a few moments ago. I was reading in the John Maxwell Leadership Bible this morning and read contemplatively through Genesis 1-2. I really didn’t get much new information since I had read these chapters many, many times before. And yet, I was taken aback when Maxwell’s notes said that the problem with Eve’s sin in chapter 3 was due to a lack of communication. My immediate thought was, “Boy, THAT’S a stretch.” But then, as I went back and reread the Scripture, I was convinced. Here’s the order of events:

Genesis 2:7 – God creates Adam out of some of the materials with which He made the earth.
Genesis – God formally places Adam in the Garden of Eden and gives him his purpose within this environment.
Genesis -17 – God makes it clear that Adam is not to eat of the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.


THEN....


Genesis 2:18ff – God creates Eve and presents her to Adam.
Genesis 3:2-3 – Eve’s response to the serpent shows her misunderstanding of what God had actually said.

This order of events makes it clear that Eve was created after Adam received the instructions. It appears that he failed to properly communicate with his wife the things that God had shared with him.


It would appear that the issue that causes so much marital discord today is an issue that set up the initial downfall of humanity. However, with 20/20 hindsight, we can learn from Adam's mistake and make appropriate corrective actions, right?

No comments: