Saturday, August 25, 2012

Race Day Jitters: Red Mule Runners Labor Day 5K Race

I tried to get a good night's sleep last night but was only able to get about 5 1/2 hours. My resting heart rate was 63 when I awoke so my body is just fine. I'm just excited about today's race!

The first 5K (3.1 mile) race I entered was on April 7, 2012. The course was easy: it had hills throughout but nothing too serious. I had only been training for four months. Leading up to that race, I went on an abbreviated vacation with my family (2 weeks before) and battled with a serious bout of allergies (1 week before). I was only able to get 7 workouts in during the three weeks leading up to the race. (Not good at all!) Yet, I completed that 5K in 24:21 (7:51 pace).

The second, and last, 5K race I entered was on May 26, 2012. The course was a bear! There were 3 major hills that made up about 25% of the course! Further, I messed myself up by having a bowl of cereal (yes, with milk) that morning. I felt tired almost as soon as I began the race but I pushed myself and finished in 27:14 (8:47 pace).

Today's race is a flat, shaded, paved course that is made for setting PRs (personal records). I feel pretty comfortable about the possibilities of beating 24:21 today. I'm much more fit than I was 4 1/2 months ago (although I'm about 5.5lbs heavier). I fueled properly yesterday and this morning. I'm also learning better running technique and how to use my mind to increase performance.

My goal today is simply to beat 24:21. I have never come close to that pace set in my first 5K no matter how hard I have pushed it! Today, I want (and plan) to set a new PR!

I have been putting in plenty of miles since my first race but have not focused as much on speed drills. Eventually, I want to blow 24:21 out of the water. But for now, I believe a worthy goal is simply to beat it.

No comments: