Monday, August 4, 2014

Every person you meet has an incredible story!

It is amazing what we learn when we spend less time trying to impress others with our story and spend time listening to theirs.

I went to do a hospital visit about an hour ago with my two oldest sons. After entering the room and hearing how the church member was doing, I asked him about himself. After probing a little, I found out that he was a Marine and retired after 20 years of service as an E8 (impressive!). I asked where he had served and he gave me a list of around 10 places around the world that made me think he had some stories to tell.

After more probing questions (truly amazing people don't willingly tell about themselves; you have to probe), I found out that the guy was a helicopter mechanic ... for Marine 1! Yep, he worked on the helicopters that the President of the United States travels on. I asked him if he ever met any of the Presidents when he rode on the choppers. He said "yes," got a distant look in his eyes as he thought and said: "Let's see, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter and Bush. I saw but never met Reagan, though."

If he wasn't still recovering from surgery, I would have loved to stay in that hospital chair and hear more of his story! I bet he's got some incredible tales.

James 1:19 (New Living Translation)

"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak..."

No comments: