Friday, March 20, 2015

Enjoying God - what God always intended

Enjoying God has always been the goal of those who followed Him throughout history.

In fact, God made the redeemed human heart to crave what the Greatest Commandment demands in Matthew 22:37-38 (NLT). 37) "Jesus replied, 'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' 38) This is the first and greatest commandment."

Following Jesus was never intended to be a lifeless religion that just gets tacked onto everything else we do in life. Instead, it was made to satisfy our deepest longings. Those who have experienced God have discovered that it can be intoxicating and addictive. We want more!

(And with our enjoyment of God as our passion, we will inevitably love and obey Him. Therefore, our obedience is not out of compulsion or a sense of duty - it's because we WANT to love and obey Him.)

Just listen to the Psalmist in the following 8 verses. As we listen to the prayer of King David, we hear a man who craved for His God unlike so much of the religion we see (and experience within ourselves). This is what God has intended for us to enjoy! And the more we enjoy Him, the more He invites us to enjoy more!

Psalm 63:1-6 (NLT)

1) O God, you are my God;
I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
where there is no water.

2) I have seen you in your sanctuary
and gazed upon your power and glory.

3) Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
how I praise you!

4) I will praise you as long as I live,
lifting up my hands to you in prayer.

5) You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
I will praise you with songs of joy.

6) I lie awake thinking of you,
meditating on you through the night.

7) Because you are my helper,
I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.

8) I cling to you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.

No comments: