Thursday, August 25, 2016

Walking down memory lane

Today was a wonderful walk down memory lane! Here's what happened:

From 1995-1997, I was a member at Bellevue Baptist Church near Memphis, Tennessee. 

I can see the 3rd story windows of the Military Sunday School class I used to teach!
It's under the center overhang.
In those years, I was also the Assistant to the Military Minister. The fringe benefits that I enjoyed included sitting under the preaching ministry and leadership of Dr. Adrian Rogers while getting an insiders look at an incredible church. 

I cannot adequately express how grateful I am that God gave me those few years! Some 20 years later, I still think back on them with great fondness!

In the Spring of 1996, I began dating Kim. It didn't take me long to realize that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. 

Our dating relationship was almost completely long-distance (she lived in Lexington, KY and I lived in Germantown, TN). So, when I heard that she and a singles church group were coming to Bellevue to watch the annual "Singing Christmas Tree" performance, I formulated my plan to propose to her. After the performance, we went out to see some Christmas lights. About an hour later, I came back to Bellevue's property, the front lawn was lit up with festive lights, and I knelt down beside a pond and proposed to her. I had to ask a second time because she began crying and didn't give me a "yes" quickly enough.  

She told me the next day that she didn't sleep a wink that night. Here's a picture she took with her new engagement ring:


The next day, the singles church group headed back to Lexington, KY. On the way, they saw a couch on the side of the road and decided to take a crazy picture on it. Kim is in the red sweater.



______________

It's hard to believe that this all happened 20 years ago! (Time flies by too quickly!)

So, today, it was surreal as I was listening to a sermon by Adrian Rogers on my podcast app as I pulled onto Bellevue's property. I was overwhelmed with wonderful memories from when I frequented this place. 

But, there was one special place I wanted to visit - the place where I knelt down to propose to Kim! They've changed the spot in the past 20 years: the road has been widened and there is now shrubbery and a waterfall near the spot. (That would have made it even more romantic 20 years ago!)

I proposed to Kim at the far left of this picture.
The trees and shrubbery weren't there 20 years ago.
There is also now a bench and a small waterfall.
I guess they are commemorating the spot where Kim said, "Yes." HA

I proposed to Kim on the other side of this tree (that wasn't there 20 years ago).
It's neat that there is now beautiful flowers and a small waterfall in this spot.

No comments: