Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Does your god cause weight gain?

As I spent time reflecting on God's Word this morning, I came across a text that seemed to be particularly troubling.

You know what that's like, don't you? You are reading a book (God's Word) but a verse 'jumps off the page.' It's a clear reminder that God uses the reading of His Word to speak with us.

Well, the passage I'm referring to is Philippians 3:18-21. In it, God (through the Apostle Paul) notes one very important factor that shows who is truly a child of God and who isn't.

Simply put, people who are on their way to Heaven focus on the things of God. Those who are headed to a Christ-less eternity are focused on self-gratification and the temporal.

People who are truly saved 'seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness' (Matthew 6:33). Those who are not saved are focused only on their own interests.

Philippians 3:18-21 (ESV)
"For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself."

I found the phrase, "their god is their belly", particularly troubling. That seems to describe someone who eats more than is necessary to satisfy a craving that only God can and should satisfy. I know that too many times that characterizes my behavior. While I love the Lord, I am keenly aware that there are times that I run to the frig rather than drop to my knees or open His Word for solace.

Virtually every time I read God's Word, I am reminded that there is still much work to do as I strive to become more like Jesus.

No comments: