Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Enjoying God

DAILY BIBLE READING:

Isaiah 30:12–33:9 
Galatians 5:1-12 
Psalm 63:1-11 
Proverbs 23:22

TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

Psalm 63:1-4 (ESV) "O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

I have chosen a larger than normal passage for our Verses for Today. Each verse was so special that I just couldn't decide which one to leave out. So, I included them all.

Essentially, the Psalmist is speaking of how much he craves and enjoys his God. Just like someone who is dying of thirst would crave water, so he craved to enjoy his God.

But he's more specific than that. There is a concrete, objective reason why he enjoys his God so much. In verse 2, the writer recounts how he has meditated on his God in the sanctuary and been overwhelmed with thoughts of God's power and glory. In verse 2, the writer acknowledges that thinking about and experiencing God's love for him is better than anything life has to offer.

These are just some of the reasons why the Psalmist is enjoying his God.

Friend, are you enjoying God? Do you crave Him like someone craves water who is dying of thirst? Do you meditate on His attributes (power, glory, love, etc.)?

Christianity certainly has it's God-given aspects of religion. But, ultimately, it is a relationship! It is an invitation into a relationship with the God who made us. And that relationship will never, ever reach a point where we grow bored of it. There is always more of God to learn about and enjoy.

So, today, reengage in the adventure. Know and enjoy your God. He's been reaching out to you and simply waiting on you to reach back.

No comments: