Sunday, September 17, 2017

One Benefit of Trusting the Lord

DAILY BIBLE READING:

Isaiah 25:1–28:13 
Galatians 3:10-22 
Psalm 61:1-8 
Proverbs 23:17-18

TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

Isaiah 26:3 (NLT) "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

In December 2004, I did something stupid. I mean really stupid!

I took my family to visit family and friends in the Lexington, Kentucky area a week before Christmas. As we prepared to make the 200 mile trip back home to Princeton, Kentucky, my wife and I were hearing of a major winter storm that was blasting western Kentucky. The well-below freezing temperatures made the major amounts of snow and ice stick to the roads.

But, I was a man on a mission and I was going to get my family back home. The first half of the journey was a breeze. The roads were clear and the driving was uneventful. However, as we reached the halfway point, I noticed that snow and ice were collecting on the Western Kentucky Parkway. I kept driving.

Eventually, the Parkway was completely covered. The only hint that there was a road under the snow and ice were the tracks made by previous drivers. I also began to notice that there were a growing number of vehicles on the side of the Parkway. I kept driving.

Soon, my wife was asking (begging) for me to stop. She sensed the danger. She knew that if we slid off the road, we could get seriously hurt. Besides, the Western Kentucky Parkway is very desolate in spots and it would be awhile before someone could come to our rescue. I foolishly kept driving.

Truth be told, my wife was nervous because she saw a situation that was beyond the abilities of her husband to manage. I was nervous, even though I tried not to show it, because I knew that we were only a moment away from danger, every inch of the way home.

But there were 2 boys in that car that weren't nervous at all. They played together. They slept. They may have even argued. They weren't the least bit worried about the danger that I had put my family in.

Why weren't they scared? Because they trusted me. They believed that daddy had things under control. And since they trusted in me, they were able to rest. They didn't get upset or uptight. They were at peace.

"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" (Isaiah 26:3 (NLT)

Friend, if we are anxious about life and are not experiencing peace, then it is probably a trust problem, pure and simple. If we truly believed that the Lord is in control and that He has promised to work everything (yes, even the bad things) for our ultimate good, then we wouldn't get so uptight.

So trust the Lord more. Keep your thoughts on Him. Read about Him in the Bible. Pray to Him. Invite Him into the moments of your days. Know that whatever you are going through, He's got it. Trust Him!

How will you know if you are truly trusting the Lord especially when life gets hard? Are you in perfect peace? That's how you'll know.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

No comments: