Saturday, September 16, 2017

I died and rose again



DAILY BIBLE READING:

Isaiah 22:1–24:23 
Galatians 2:17–3:9 
Psalm 60:1-12 
Proverbs 23:15-16

TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

Galatians 2:20 (ESV) "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

As we read through God's Word, there are gold nuggets that we can gather on the surface. It doesn't take much indepth study to see the value of those verses. They usually, quickly get underlined in our Bibles.

But, there are also verses in our Bibles that also have gold dust scattered on the surface. If we stop and begin to dig, we realize that there are enormous veins of gold underneath the surface. No matter how deep we dig, we could never possibly exhaust that resource. The deeper we dig into the verse through study and meditation, the richer we become for it.

Our Verse for Today is the latter. If we wrote this verse on an index card with plans to meditate on it today (I have and will), we would have food for thought all day long.

Essentially, this verse tells us that if we are saved, our life is not our own any more. In fact, it isn't intended to be lived in our power. When we trusted in Jesus Christ alone for eternal life, we died to the demands of the Law and we died to sin and self-rule. Essentially, God identified us with Christ in His crucifixion.

But, just as Jesus rose from the dead three days later, we have also been raised from the dead. Our source of life has changed, though. Jesus now lives within us and we are to depend upon Him for everything we need to live our life.

So how do we live this new life? The same way we were saved - we live it by faith. We read and study God's Word to find the things that are true of us. We believe those truths and live in light of them. And we cultivate communion with Jesus as we depend upon Him for everything.

John 15:5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

No comments: