Friday, July 26, 2013

A ringing phone - to answer or not to answer...

Ok. This will probably turn out to be a post that absolutely no one reads. That's fine. It will allow me a chance to reflect ... and maybe even vent ... without having to worry about how others react to one of my pet peeves.

Let me begin by saying that I LOVE my mobile device. (Very few folks actually have a simple phone anymore.) I track my schedule, my tasks, my workouts, my weight, my calorie intake and so much more on my mobile device.

In fact, I've had a few people in past year point out how much time I spend looking at it and tapping on the screen. Even though my life is essentially managed by my mobile device, I try not to spend too much time on it when I'm in the presence of others. I don't always succeed in this endeavor.

Isn't it ironic that one of my pet peeves is when someone gives priority to their mobile device when surrounded by others? (So, I guess I'm saying that I don't like it when people do the same thing that I'm guilty of. Talk about a speck in someone else's eye and a log in my own!)

This morning, I was in a waiting room and observed a man and woman talking about someone who was undergoing surgery. It seemed as if the conversation was going at full throttle when the gentleman's phone rang. He didn't excuse himself from the conversation. He didn't apologize for the interruption. He simply stopped in mid-sentence, answered his phone and acted like the lady in front of him didn't even exist as she stared in disbelief.

Talk about rude! Very clearly yet without a word, he stated that the woman who he was chatting with was not as important as the person who was calling on his phone.

Rude as it may be, I've understood the power of the phone for quite some time. Many years ago, I worked a job in which I frequently needed to converse with my manager. Unfortunately, there were others that needed to talk with him as well. So, I could either wait in line and talk with him after the others finished ... or I could realize that the phone had power. I chose the latter. I quickly made my way to another phone and called him. He asked the person in front of him to wait a few moments as he answered my call and dealt with my concern. After I essentially cut in line, my manager hung up the phone and got back to the others.

I wouldn't do such a thing now. I'd like to think that it's because I've grown in my walk with the Lord and don't want to play a part in something that would devalue others.

So, even though it's a struggle, I try not to spend too much time on my mobile device when in the presence of others. If my phone rings and I'm talking to someone else, I will usually allow it to continue ringing unless it is my wife or sons. My wife always talks priority. And, if my sons are calling, usually something needs to be addressed quickly (like forgetting to pick up Zach from band practice until 30 minutes after it was over.)

Besides, when I'm talking with someone and refuse to answer my phone so that I can continue chatting with them, I suspect that it gives them a sense of value. That's a good thing, right?

Wait a second... I'll be right back. My phone's ringing...

No comments: