Wednesday, June 4, 2014

How do I know that I love Jesus?

How do we know that we love Jesus?

This is really important because if you don't love Him, you aren't a child of God and you are not going to Heaven. When we are saved from the penalty of our sins, God gives us a new 'heart' and we realize that God is to be loved and enjoyed. Love for Jesus is the natural activity of the one who is truly a child of God.

So, how do we know that we love Him?

Is our love for Jesus based simply upon some warm feeling we get inside when we read the Bible or pray? Is it the supposed happy feeling we get when we sing in a worship service?

Quite simply, we know that we truly love Jesus when we obey His teachings. (Obedience is not love; it is, however, the natural response of love for Jesus.) That means we study His Word to know what He has said and then do it.

Of course, there will periodically (maybe often) be feelings of affection for our God. Yet, the true tell-tell sign that we love Jesus is based upon our answer to this question: "Am I reading God's Word and obeying it?"

John 14:21 (New Living Translation)

Jesus said: "Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them."

No comments: