Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Admitting I've sinned demonstrates that I'm saved


If someone came to you today and humbly confronted you with some sin in your life, how would you respond?

Most people don't respond well. As a pastor, I've had to confront folks before and many of them have usually not responded well. Sometimes, they leave the church. I've also been confronted with my own sin and it's often a bitter pill for me to swallow, too, to acknowledge sin in my life. (It's a little more difficult for me to leave the church, though. lol)

Why do we act that way? Because we want others to think well of us. If we are a child of God, the residual remnants of the 'old person' (2 Corinthians 5:17) we were before we were saved is hanging on for dear life. It despises being corrected by others. It would much rather point out faults in others than acknowledge its own deficiencies. This is just one illustration of how sinful pride has taken root in our lives.

Yet, in my Bible reading this morning, the Lord reminded me that a true child of God will readily acknowledge sin in their life. (The obvious implication is that they will actively work to kill sin in their mind and heart. [Romans 8:13])

1 John 1:8-10 (English Standard Version)
"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

So, yes, if we are heaven-bound, we still struggle with sin. And, yes, we'll acknowledge it's presence. But, we will also realize that our God is so wonderful that He won't hold it against us as we confess it to Him and make it right.

Today, if someone points out some area in your life that needs attention, don't get upset. Realize that God may be speaking through that person to point out an area in your life that needs attention. (I should hope that if I have food between my teeth that someone would tell me! This same principle applies to my spiritual life.)

After all, God loves us just the way we are but loves us too much to let us stay that way. He's about the business of conforming us to the image of Jesus (Romans 8:29).

No comments: