Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Celebrating in times of trouble

DAILY BIBLE READING:

1 Chronicles 11:1–12:18 
Acts 28:1-31 
Psalm 9:1-12 
Proverbs 19:1-3

BIBLE VERSE(S) FOR TODAY:

Psalm 9:1-2 (CSB) "I will thank the Lord with all my heart; I will declare all your wondrous works. I will rejoice and boast about you; I will sing about your name, Most High."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):


When we read our Verse for Today, we hear the Psalmist commit to thanking the Lord and praising Him. He said that he would brag about the Lord and sing about His Name.

When we read of someone committing to such positive, constructive spiritual disciplines, we may be tempted to think that things were going well for him. God is blessing him - that's why he is wanting to celebrate his God.

And that assessment would be wrong. Look at what the Psalmist said a few verses later...

Psalm 9:13 (CSB) "Be gracious to me, Lord; consider my affliction at the hands of those who hate me. Lift me up from the gates of death,"

When we read this verse, we cannot help but realize that the Psalmist's current situation is pretty dire. Things are not well at all.

So, when we hop back to verses 1 and 2, we see those words differently. The Psalmist wasn't wanting to praise the Lord because times were easy. He was wanting to praise the Lord because times were hard.

Friend, when times are tough, it is super-easy to focus on the problems. It is super-easy to get discouraged. It is super-easy to even get depressed and settle into a hopeless mindset.

But, don't do it! If you are saved, you have a Father in Heaven who loves you to death (literally!). And, everything that happens to you has to come through His hands and He's promised to work it all for your good and His glory.

So, instead of focusing on the bad stuff, focus on Him. Keep your chin up by only thinking of the things that celebrate what your God has done for you and why He is so special to you.

I have discovered that when I can focus on the goodness of my God for a substantial period of time, then when I finally get around to focusing on the problem, it doesn't seem nearly so big or so bad.

Keep your eyes on Jesus, friend!

No comments: