Tuesday, July 18, 2017

One reason to be kind to the less fortunate

DAILY BIBLE READING:

1 Chronicles 26:12–27:34 
Romans 4:13–5:5 
Psalm 14:1-7 
Proverbs 19:17

BIBLE VERSE(S) FOR TODAY:

Proverbs 19:17 (CSB) "Kindness to the poor is a loan to the Lord, and he will give a reward to the lender."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

As I write this, I am sitting in a hotel room in Denver. The sun has not yet risen and my body is extremely tired. But, my I have discovered that my days just don't go well unless I spend time with the Lord each morning.

I'm tired because I am with a team from our church on a mission trip. We are helping with a soccer camp that is providing a fun, safe environment for refugee children. I've been out in the sun and doing a little more extended exercise than I've done in awhile.

So, why would a group of 13 of us pay over $1,000 to travel at least 2,000 miles (round trip) to do things that will bring us to the point of weariness and maybe even exhaustion?

Among other reasons, our Verse for Today gives the explanation.

Proverbs 19:17 (CSB) "Kindness to the poor is a loan to the Lord, and he will give a reward to the lender."

As Christians, we believe that whatever we do for those who are less fortunate than us will be repaid by our Lord. Since we know that the Lord, in His own way and in His own time, will reward us for our acts of kindness, we can forego the expectation to be immediately repaid by those we are helping.

So, why not be kind to someone today who cannot help you back? Do so knowing that the Lord is watching and will repay you one day. Maybe it won't be until the Day when you stand before Him and are judged and rewarded. But, my friend, it will happen. 

So be kind and generous today.

No comments: