Sunday, July 9, 2017

God's favor and taking a wife

DAILY BIBLE READING:

1 Chronicles 7:1–8:40 
Acts 27:1-20 
Psalm 7:1-17 
Proverbs 18:22 

BIBLE VERSE(S) FOR TODAY:

Proverbs 18:22 (CSB) "A man who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord."


REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

When a man marries a woman, there is much more to it than meets the eye.

On May 10, 1997, I stood at the front of the worship center as Kim was walked down the aisle. Within a few minutes, both of us said, "I do." Our marriage had begun.

But, I didn't simply pick Kim and she didn't simply pick me. As I took her for my wife, I realized that my God had graciously given her to me. He was smiling on me as I received His gift to me.

Proverbs 18:22 (CSB) "A man who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord."

That's what our Verse for Today is saying. It's a message to guys saying that we all need to realize that if we are blessed with a wife, she is God's gift to us.

So, she is to be enjoyed and cherished. As a precious gift from our Father, she needs to be valued and loved.

In fact, husbands are commanded to love our wives with a self-less, sacrificial love just like Jesus loves us (Ephesians 5:25ff).

Why do we love her this way? Among other reasons, she is God's gift to us. We have obtained favor from the Lord and He has smiled on us.

So, husbands, we've got work to do. Get busy.

No comments: