Saturday, September 13, 2014

How correction reveals whether we are wise or fools

Do you like it when someone corrects you? No? Neither do I.

It's painful. It's humbling (sometimes humiliating).

My pride is typically responsible for my negative response. I want to think that I measure up to other folks' standards. I don't want to think that there is any reason at all for others to look down on me. I have my sinful self-pride, after all.

But, let's admit it. None of us is perfect. All of us struggle with sin, bad habits, and simple oversights.

Let's also admit that we all have blind spots. There are plenty of things in our life that are messed up ... and we don't even know it. If others don't tell us, we'll continue to look foolish or may rob God of an opportunity to glorify Him.

So, like it or not, we need others to periodically correct us.

One more thing: the Bible tells us who is worthy of correction. No, it's not based on who needs it. It's based upon who will receive it.

The Bible tells us that some people shouldn't get corrected because they are beyond help and won't listen no matter how compassionate and humble the correction. They'll get angry. They'll cut off relationships and never speak again to the one who corrected them. They may even seek retaliation.

Proverbs 9:7-8 (New Living Translation)
"Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don’t bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise, and they will love you."

God doesn't tip-toe around the truth here. It's as clear as crystal. We are either wise or wicked mockers based upon how we receive correction.

So, which one is it? And what adjustments might we need to make based upon God's correction?

No comments: