Thursday, September 11, 2014

Praying for a President we may not like or agree with...

When I was in a college, I owned an old '82 Datsun 200SX. Initially, I loved the car but then it developed some problems. I took it to the mechanic and they told me that the problem was electrical. For them to identify and fix the problem would cost more than the car was worth. So, instead of getting it fixed, I worked with it. Many mornings, I would get into the car with a full day's schedule ahead of me, put the key in the ignition ... and nothing happened. I turned the key again ... and the engine made a noise. In my mind (sometimes with my mouth), I encouraged the engine: "C'mon. You can do this! You're doing good. C'mon, let's get this day going. There you go. Ok, you can do this."

Maybe you aren't a fan of our current President. I am not. But, I realize that the Bible I read and strive to abide by tells me that I should pray for him regularly (1 Timothy 2:1-4). I must also realize that his fate is tide to my own. I may not like the bus driver who is transporting me from one location to another but I may find myself praying that he would get me there safely. His fate is tied to my own.

For this and many more reasons, we need to lift up our President in prayer right now. On the anniversary of 9/11, our President has authorized airstrikes on an enemy that needs to be annihilated. Yet, in doing so, we may bring much harm upon ourselves. These are days when true leadership is needed. Regardless of what we think of him, we must pray that God would lead him to make right decisions in these dark days … and then follow through on those right decisions.

No comments: