Monday, August 28, 2017

Enjoying God

DAILY BIBLE READING:

Job 28:1–30:31 
2 Corinthians 2:12-17 
Psalm 42:1-11 
Proverbs 22:7

TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

Psalm 42:1-2 (NLT) "As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?"

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

As we read our Verse for Today, we come to realize something profound - there may be more, much more, to the Christian life than we are presently enjoying.

When we read the words of the Psalmist, we hear him compare his current condition to that of a thirsty deer. That animal cannot help but long for streams of water to satisfy its thirst. It knows that water will meet the deep need of its being.

The Psalmist said that he felt like that. Except that his thirst wasn't physical; it was spiritual. And he wasn't focused on water but on God. He knew that the longing deep in his soul could only be met in relationship with God.

Far too many Christians don't realize that there is a relationship with God that can satisfy their deepest longing. Verses like some of those that follow testify to the fact that there have been guys who did realize this truth...

Exodus 33:18 (NLT) "Moses responded, 'Then show me your glorious presence.'"

Psalm 63:1 (NLT) "O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water."

Isaiah 26:8-9 (NLT) "LORD, we show our trust in you by obeying your laws; our heart’s desire is to glorify your name. In the night I search for you; in the morning I earnestly seek you. For only when you come to judge the earth will people learn what is right."

Philippians 3:8 (NLT) "Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ"

Jeremiah 29:13-14 (NLT) "'If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,' says the LORD..."

On and on these verses could go. Men and women through the ages have realized that there is so much more to Christianity than simply getting a ticket to Heaven. It is ultimately an invitation to enjoy God in this life and in the life to come.

Are you currently enjoying God so much that your heart is bursting with joy? Then, there is so much more for you to enjoy, friend. Have fun pursuing the God of all creation!

No comments: