Sunday, August 20, 2017

Getting our desires met by God

DAILY BIBLE READING:

Esther 8:1–10:3 
1 Corinthians 12:27–13:13 
Psalm 37:1-11 
Proverbs 21:23-24

TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

Psalm 37:4 (NLT) "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

I'll never forget one of the graduation gifts I received when I finished high school. A lady at our church gave me a money clip with Psalm 37:4 inscribed on it.

I saw that verse and the object on which it was placed and got a little excited. 

"If I take delight in the LORD, then he will give me my heart's desire which is to get some money in this money clip. I'm about to begin college and need / desire that money and so I'm looking forward to Him meeting that desire."

Let's just be honest here. Not only was I wrong in my understanding of what Psalm 37:4 meant, I was also using the LORD as a means to an end. In my mind and heart, he wasn't the object of my affection, He was simply the way that I could get what I truly wanted - more money to meet my needs and wants.

As I have studied Psalm 37:4, spent untold hours studying God's Word, and learned of how it plays out in 'real life,' I have come to see that Psalm 37:4 means something quite different.

Here's what it means:

1. The Lord is to be delighted in. Relationship with Him is ultimately something that our heart longs for. Salvation is essentially God's invitation to come closer to Him so that we can enjoy Him and satisfy our heart's longing.

2. As we get closer to Him in relationship, our desires change. Gradually, we become less me-centered and more Him-centered. Our desires are purified and we find ourselves desiring what He desires.

3. When we are delighting in (enjoying) our God and our desires (what we want) is more in tune with His desires, then the LORD is free to meet our desires, because they are His desires, too.

If we are not enjoying our God, we may feel slighted when we read the previous three points. We haven't come to satisfy ourselves in Him if we say: "Oh, now I see! It's really His desires that get met, not mine."

However, if we are enjoying our God, our understanding of this verse is beautiful to us. We realize that our wants really are what God wants so when He does what He desires, our desires are met, too.

So, friend, delight yourself in the Lord. Enjoy relationship with Him. As your desires become His desires, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you.

"But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!" (John 15:7)

No comments: