Monday, March 13, 2017

How to relax during the stresses of life

TODAY'S BIBLE READING:

Numbers 19:1-20:29
Luke 1:1-25
Psalm 56:1-13
Proverbs 11:8

BIBLE VERSE(S) FOR TODAY:

Psalm 56:3 "But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

When my children were much younger, they seemed to not have a care in the world. I could have sweaty palms as I drove down the interstate in a blinding storm ... and they were in the backseat giggling. I could stress as I looked at the checkbook realizing that there wasn't enough money to pay a utility bill ... and they were chasing each other through the house.

That's the nature of children. They trust. And because they trust, they just don't worry.

Have you noticed as you read through the Gospels that Jesus periodically took a child up into his arms (Mark 9:36-37) and encouraged his follows to be like that child? He wants us to trust Him. When we trust Him, we become like a child who is much more carefree than we, adults, typically tend to be.

That's the beautiful truth we see in this morning's verse for today.

"But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you." (Psalm 56:3).

So, be an adult and do what you should in each circumstance. If the car is making a strange noise, be responsible and get it looked at. If you are struggling to make ends meet, look for a second job. If you're driving through a blinding storm, consider taking the next exit to safety.

But, through it all, learn to trust Jesus. The more you trust Him, just like a child trusts their parent, the more you will be able to rest in your spirit.


"Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him,
How I've proved Him o'r and o'r.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus,
Oh for grace to trust Him more."

No comments: