Thursday, March 23, 2017

One reason why repentance is so important

TODAY'S BIBLE READING:

Numbers 36:1 - Deuteronomy 1:46
Luke 5:29-6:11
Psalm 66:1-20
Proverbs 11:24-26

BIBLE VERSE(S) FOR TODAY:

Psalm 66:18-19 (CSB) "If I had been aware of malice in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. However, God has listened; he has paid attention to the sound of my prayer."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

One of the truths that we believe about God is His omnipresence. That means that He is completely everywhere at all times. The Psalmist acknowledged this attribute of God in Psalm 139:7-12.

In believing this about our God, we also come to some other logical conclusions, one of which is that since God is everywhere, He hears everything that is said. There is no place, even in the deepest, darkest parts of the universe, that someone can whisper a word that God doesn't hear it.

Yet, in our verses for today, we are told that there is a scenario in which we can speak and God won't listen. Notice that it doesn't say that He doesn't hear our prayer - it's just that He's not listening. He hears the words but He's not going to do anything about it.

What would cause Him to ignore our prayers? The awareness of unconfessed sin!

If we desire to have a prayer life in which God hears and answers, one of the stipulations is that we stay "confessed up." When we sin, we run to the cross, fall on our knees, and repent (admit our sin and resolve to not do it again).

I'm definitely a work in progress. I definitely have sin struggles but I also desire to stay "confessed up." As a result, God periodically answers my prayers.

A couple of days ago, my oldest son showed obvious signs of fatigue. Between school, his obligations to the high school band and academic team, his part-time job at Wendy's, and a few other things, he's burning the candle at both ends. Yesterday, before he drove to work, I prayed with him. I asked that if God desired it, that business would be slow and he could come home early. (That rarely ever happens.) He was supposed to work until 10PM but he walked in the door at 8:30PM. When I said, "Zach, this is what we prayed for!", he smiled because he knew that God had answered our prayer.

If you want God to hear and answer your prayers, you don't need to be perfect. If that were the standard, no one would ever receive an answer to prayer. You just need to be pursuing holiness and staying "confessed up."

If you haven't been praying as you ought, why not renew your passion to pray to the God who listens and answers.

Psalm 66:18-19 (CSB) "If I had been aware of malice in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. However, God has listened; he has paid attention to the sound of my prayer."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is our Rock. He is our sustenance. He hears even my groanings. He is my Shelter. He is Big. He is Better than......... He covers me with His wings. He is my spiritual Daddy. He's ALWAYS been there!
Dorothy