Friday, June 30, 2017

The priority of sharing the Good News

DAILY BIBLE READING:

2 Kings 17:1–18:12 
Acts 20:1-38 
Psalm 148:1-14 
Proverbs 18:6-7

BIBLE VERSE(S) FOR TODAY:

Acts 20:24 "But I consider my life of no value to myself; my purpose is to finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of God’s grace."

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY'S BIBLE VERSE(S):

It's so easy to lose our focus in this life, isn't it? We begin our journey as followers of Jesus when we got saved. We had every intention of obeying Him and doing the things that He desires.

And then life happened.

We got distracted by the craziness of life. We settled into our routines. We began looking much more at what is going on around us than the God who reigns above us.

And we forgot what God desired for us.

So, what is our ultimate purpose? Why does God leave us here on earth after we are born again?

Matthew 6:33 tells us what our main priority is. "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness..." We are to focus on the growth of the Kingdom of God and we are to pursue holiness / righteousness.

So, how does the Kingdom of God grow? 

It grows when people receive the message of Gospel and submit themselves to the authority of King Jesus over their life. When they do this, they enter the Kingdom and then pursue a life of holiness because that's what followers of Jesus do.

But folks can't get saved unless someone is telling them about Jesus and what He did for them on the cross. So, this is at the top of our list of priorities ... we've got to tell people about Jesus.

And this is what our Verse for Today is about. The Apostle Paul came to a point in his life where he was confronted with the fact that he was going to be imprisoned and possibly killed. Yet, he wouldn't stop sharing the Gospel. It was his primary goal in life. He knew the message of the Gospel could save people from a Christless eternity in Hell and he wouldn't stop sharing it even if he were killed for doing so. 

Acts 20:24 "But I consider my life of no value to myself; my purpose is to finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of God’s grace."

Because of this commitment, Paul could approach his death with a clear conscience:

Acts 20:26-27 "Therefore I declare to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, because I did not avoid declaring to you the whole plan of God."

Are you sharing the Gospel with others? 

Is there someone you know who needs to hear what Jesus did for them? 

Then ask God to prepare their hearts. Ask Him to give you an opportunity to share the Gospel. Then take advantage of that opportunity when it comes.

Where people will spend eternity is at stake. They need to be saved. Will you share the news with them that can save them?

No comments: