Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Walking down memory lane

Last month, Kim and I celebrated 20 years of marriage. However, with our oldest son graduating and with so many other activities demanding our time, we postponed our brief celebration getaway until this week.

We chose to spend a few days in Memphis. Ordinarily, this may not sound like a romantic getaway location. But, to us, we have some very special memories here.

When Kim and I were dating, she lived in Lexington, Kentucky and I lived in Germantown, Tennessee. Among other things, I was on staff at Bellevue Baptist Church where Adrian Rogers was pastor. So, that little bit of information helps to explain the following pictures.


I proposed to Kim on this spot on December 14, 1996 after a performance of the
Singing Christmas Tree. This picture was taken a few months later.

Today, we got as close to the spot where I proposed to Kim as possible. However, that "spot" has been redone. It now has a
weeping willow, flowers, shrubbery, and a small waterfall.

Here's what happened to the spot where I proposed to Kim a little more than 20 years ago.

A friend got Adrian Rogers to sign one of his books for Kim and me as a wedding
gift. The title is appropriate. The miracle was that Kim said, "yes."

Here's a picture of Bellevue from the front lawn.

There are so many memories tied up in this place. In fact, the window of the Military Ministry
Sunday School classroom that I taught is visible on the third floor under the overhang.

We visited Adrian Rogers' grave today. His body is laid to rest beside their young son who died before he was 3 months old.

For a man who left such a huge imprint on millions (no exaggeration) of lives, the humble nature of his gravesite was a
testimony to the fact that he recognized that his life wasn't really about himself. It was about Jesus.
(And the "Jesus" sign is still hanging high above the pulpit in Bellevue's sanctuary.)

There are a few other pictures and an enormous amount of memories but I'll end my post here and get back to enjoying our celebration of 20 years of marriage.

No comments: